Wellness is an active process through which people become aware of, and make choices toward, a more successful existence. It is a choice to assume responsibility for the quality of your life, continually stretch your boundaries, and make your life, and the lives of those you touch, truly exceptional.
Mindfully focusing on wellness in our lives builds resilience and enables us to thrive amidst life’s challenges. Ultimately, wellness is a hands-on, get-down-to-business approach to being the best you can possibly be.
Vocational wellness encourages development of personal leadership, continuous learning, a strong work ethic, questioning why you work and the contribution you make to others and society.
Try these actions:
- Find a way to incorporate more of what you enjoy doing in your spare time into your career (e.g. if you enjoy creative activities, participate in creative tasks in the workplace).
- Hold an event/program in your work setting .
- Meet with a key person for advice on career development.
- Build transition time between commitments for planning, reflecting, preparing.
- Ask to job shadow someone whose career you are interested in learning more about.
- Volunteer to have someone job shadow you if they are interested in learning more .
- Clarify your career objectives and divide them into short-, medium-, and long-term goals.
- Look for work experiences that will expand your skill set.
- Take on a leadership role in a team or meeting.
- Wake a half hour earlier and plan how you can create a positive impression at work today
- Take initiative regarding a work issues or task
- Use your commuting time for a learning activity.
- Arrive on time for work, assignments, meetings, etc.
- Take steps to change something in your work setting that others have been complaining or concerned about .
For more information about resilience and personal development the following resources may be helpful.
- Building Resilience. HealthLinkBC. https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/abk9962
- The Road to Resilience. American Psychological Society. https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/road-resilience.aspx
- How To Build Your Resilience. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/how-be-yourself/201709/how-build-your-resilience
- Resilience in Children: Strategies to Strengthen Your Kids. Psycom. https://www.psycom.net/build-resilience-children
- Building Resilience. Psych Central. https://psychcentral.com/lib/building-resilience/
- Overcoming adversity by building resilience. TED Talks (Carol Taylor). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nag7az4-vEo
- Eight Secrets of Success. TED Talks (Richard St. John). https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_st_john_s_8_secrets_of_success_success)