Did you make New Year’s resolutions that are already forgotten by now? So often, that initial “January 1st” enthusiasm prompts us to set extreme goals, but instead we wind up feeling defeated and discouraged a few weeks later. Avoid the emotional rollercoaster by setting yourself up for success with achievable goals and by making small, yet long-lasting lifestyle changes that are here to stay.
5 Tips to Keep You Motivated:
- Set SMART goals! Well-planned goals can jumpstart your thoughts into action! A good goal is Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. For example, instead of saying “I will walk more”, make it a SMART goal by saying “I will walk for 30 minutes every other day during my lunch break”.
- Buddy up! Determination has its good and bad days. By having a workout buddy to hold you accountable, it will make that fitness goal fun, and you are more likely to stick with it! Organize your gym bag, shoes and music, so it’s just grab and go.
- Shift the focus. Counting calories is one way to look at weight management. If it works for you, great! However, for many people it can be a demoralizing process that is unsustainable in the long run. Shift the focus towards eating regular meals made from wholesome, fresh foods to nourish your body and improve your health. The benefits will extend far beyond the number on the scale!
- Accountability is key. It’s easy to make a goal on New Year’s Eve and then forget about it till summer. Be accountable by having a timeframe attached to your goal. Mark your start date on the calendar and set a progress check a month later. Stay on track by setting reminders on your phone or computer.
- Journal everything! It’s amazing what you realize when you start writing down what you eat or using phone apps such as My Fitness Pal, eaTracker, etc. You might find out you mindlessly eat because of TV, stress, boredom, etc. Research has shown that people who keep track of what they eat are more successful at losing weight and keeping it off. A time-saving way of doing this is taking photos of all meals and snacks on your smart phone!
Let’s keep the momentum going. If you need a plan to help you achieve your SMART goal, or if you need an ally to help you stick to it, team up with a NDC Nutrition at Work Registered Dietitian.
If you would like to speak with one of our dietitians to learn more about NDC’s Nutrition at Work Nutrition Online Packages, please click on your province below for a FREE 15-Minute Phone Call: